Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Choose-day ramble

I can't believe it's only choose-day (tuesday).

I don't really have anything philosphical to say, and really, I'm supposed to be showering and getting ready for bed right this instant.

But for some reason, I'm still glued to the comp. Could be withdrawal symptoms from not having blog-shopped in awhile. Or it could be sheer laziness on my part. But more than likely it's a winning combination of the two.

I think my cookies from yesterday turned out well. I think figuring out (sort of) the heat settings on the oven made a whole load of difference. Who knew!

I packed 6 in a ziplock bag and took it to work to share with my colleagues. I gave one away, and ate the rest in quick succession. I think at some point when one of my colleagues looked over, I might even have hid the bag of cookies under the table just so she wouldn't see it and ask for one - unconsciously of course.

What can I say. There were only 5 left, and 5 cookies really aren't a lot of cookies.

In my world, when you can physically count the number of remaining pieces, it's not a lot.

It's like when I went for steamboat with the girls and ordered 5 (maybe more) plates of beef. They looked at me in shock. But hey! I counted only 4 slices of beef per plate. And 4 x 5 = 20. 20 is not a big number!

Or when I bought strawberry straps from the candy store at the airport. For some weird reason, they had each strap rolled up into a little ball. You could count it as you were putting it into the bag which made it seem less than it probably really was. See, when I buy straps the way it's normally sold - i.e. just laid out in stacks horizontally, I just grab a bunch not knowing how many I'm getting. And when I buy them that way, the unknown figure keeps me on my tops and adds to the experience of discovery - and hence, probably distracts me long enough to make it seem like it's quite a lot.

The long story short, it bothers me when I can count the number of remaining pieces.

I like handfuls of things. Random numbers. Mystery and best of all, surprise!

You know, like when you dig out another whole chip from the bottom of the bag, just when you thought you were done with it all!

Ah. The gratification.

Sometimes, the way I'm able to ramble on when I didn't start out with anything to say amazes me.

Good night!

No comments: