Tuesday, August 10, 2010

What I did over the long weekend

It was Singapore's 45th birthday yesterday, but more importantly a long weekend!

I feel so unpatriotic saying this out loud, but it's true! The past few weeks at work have been really grueling, so this break was more than welcome.

Friday night I watched Airbender. It was crappity poo, probably just enough mental complexity and texture for a 5 year olds.

Saturday I had lunch at Old Airport Road food centre. Was a little grumpy because I spent the morning on the potty emptying out my tummy, which translated into a very hungry and light headed Kim. But all was well as soon as I laid my hands on a cheese pancake from Aunty Oats.

Spent the rest of Saturday playing mahjong.

Sunday woke up early to watch The Sorcerer's Apprentice - now that was a good show. Loved the soundtrack, in particular this one track by One Republic. The title eludes me now and I don't feel like opening up my iTunes to check.

Went home after the show for a nap - afternoon naps are always required on weekends when I wake at any hour earlier than noon.

Woke up and went for a run. Not really. Well, kinda. We set out from home towards ECP at a comfortable pace (for me anyway). The plan was that I'd leave him at the exercise station to carry on with his manly sets (he gets down and dirty with the other boys there, literally! It's a grubby outdoor exercise station and I hate it when he tries to make me lie down on the floor to do sit-ups), and I would continue on towards Maccas. I got about as far as big splash with my left hip joint started hurting. I tried to hobble on for a bit but the pain, combined with the smoke and the masses of people melted my resolve so I turned around and headed back.

Reached the exercise station, whined a little about the pain to elicit some sympathy and head off any intentions he might have had about me getting down on that grubby floor to do some sit-ups.

Plan worked!

Waited for him to be done, and then we headed home to shower.

Went out again to Old Airport Road for dinner. Decided to stop at NTUC after dinner to pick up some groceries. Hit on a brain wave to bake some cookies (Orange Chocolate Chippers), so picked up ingredients for that purpose. Discovered the existence of shortening, and that it was sometimes used in lieu of butter. Felt quite kitchen-savvy and contemplated starting a blog to write about my awesome cooking adventures. The thought lasted for all of 2minutes before I decided it was too much hard work what with the pictures and the writing. The writing I can do, but pictures exhaust me.

Went home. Made the cookies. Made him take pictures of me making the cookies. He took about two, before he got bored and insisted on wanting to 'stir' something. I gave him the mixing bowl and handed him the ladle. He mushed it around in the bowl for a bit and started whining about how hard work baking was.

Yes, he who often goes on about how if he wasn't working in advertising he would be a chef.

He who makes up stories of his (hypothetical - a point he often conveniently omits) awesome cooking adventures. I kid you not. Here's a guy who randomly pulls stories out of his ass about "this one time, when he made this really delightful salmon steak" with "tips from his really famous chef friend". Both are works of fiction.

But in his defense, it could very well be true.

That brought us to a story he once told me in our early days when we were talking about food. He went on for about five minutes about a really yummy garlic herb butter fried rice he's supposedly great at making.

I turned to him and said "that was a lie wasn't it!".

And all this time I thought he made really yummy garlic herb butter fried rice.

Back to our Orange Chocolate Chippers. I gave him a little demo and he soon got the hang of it. Our cookies were a little soft coz we couldn't figure out the settings on the oven, but I have to say, they tasted pretty damn good!

After the cookies, I still wasn't ready for bed and since we were trying hard to save up for our Japan trip, I decided to write another piece for CLEO. It was a confession on my blog-shopaholic ways - how ironic because that's where all my money goes every month.

Finally, we went to bed.

The next day, we woke again for lunch and were back in bed for a nap by 2pm. Told you afternoon naps were a requisite whenever we wake earlier than 12.

Had to do a bit of work in between, but we spent most of the day doing not much at all.

And that's how the weekend blew by.


No comments: