Wednesday, July 20, 2011

I realise in the past few months I've stopped attempting to write titles for my blog entries. I used to make feeble attempts at it, but the truth is I'm not good at headings because I feel like I'm a whole lotta grey - and condensing it all into a few words feels like I'm selling things short.

So because it's not me, I don't bother trying anymore.

And I suppose that's the sentiment of late.

I feel like my life was rudely and horribly intruded upon and torn apart - it's akin to the feeling of having a burglar break into your home and ransack through your things. That complete invasion into your happy place, your sanctuary is awful. It makes you vulnerable. And then angry.

And for awhile it was all I could think about. I wanted to scream, slap and cry. All of the time. Reprieve from these thoughts, if ever, was always shortlived.

Then something else happened. And the penny dropped.

Life feels long when you don't know when the end will come, and so you allow yourself the luxury of dwelling on all the wrong things. I've come to the realisation that in truth, it really isn't all that long. Especially if you've spent it living well and been surrounded by love and all manner of happy, fluffy things.

Shit happens. You can either let it eat you up, or you can pick yourself up and tell yourself (and the world) that you don't have to take this shit. But I believe everything happens for a reason. As much as I've been hurt, I'm sure I've caused hurt to other undeserving people at some point as well. So I accept it all.

I guess the bigger question is, where do you go from here?

I can only say, up. But in (a whole lot of) time.

You learn to be stronger and wiser, just like the cliched quotes tell you.

You realise what you're capable of, and what you're willing or not willing to settle for. But as with all things, it's an ongoing journey till life pulls the plug. So perhaps the story's still unfolding, and you just have to wait and see. Of course it could very well end abruptly with no happy ending, but the reverse could also be true.

I've never been a big believer in the journey. I've always been a Disney sorta girl, and girls like that only love beginnings and endings. Everything else in between is a blur that is often best ignored because you can never get from serendipitous beginning to dreamy ending fast enough.

But now I am. I think.

Yesterday I chanced upon a lovely TVC for KFC.

And I loved it for three reasons.

1\ It featured a loving old couple, and though it didn't show very much of their life as it went back through the years, my imagination filled in the blanks. Of a couple who spent all their years together, happy and in love. Dancing through their years together in their treehole. I believe in sweet sweet love, and I want that.

2\ I loved the soundtrack. I've been listening to it on repeat since yesterday. It puts me in a much more optimistic and dreamy mood, than Fall For You did. It makes me dream of a happier time, of a life that would be wonderful just because we're together.

3\ It reminds me of my passion for advertising. I know I've crossed over to the other side, but as much as I used to rant about hating the industry, I've always known deep down that it's where I'll go back to one day - hopefully overseas. I truly believe that great campaigns can change people's lives. Feed their hopes, dreams and aspirations. Because that's exactly the impact that this TVC has had on me.

Life's not back on track yet. I'm not sure it ever will. But I think I see a new path starting to take shape.

I can't say I'm glad that all of this happened - I truly wish none of it did. But I'm trying to see the bright side of this upheaval. Everything from us to what's happening at home. And I guess the one good thing that's come out of it is that I feel like it's made me want to live a better life.


No comments: