Friday, August 14, 2009

Buying tickets online

I went onto the GV website this afternoon to buy tickets for GI Joe. Alas, I got stuck twice at the screen that tells you not to "close or refresh the page".

I haven't bought tickets from GV in a long time - Cathay and Film Garde being my usual haunts these days - but I remember a time when their sites were THE benchmark in cinema sites. Just when did they get so horrid.

Anyway, because I was alone at lunch, and had some time on my hands, I decided to go down to Plaza Sing to get the tickets in person instead - can't remember the last time I did that.

Oh wait I do. Last year, when my sister bought me GV Grand ticket vouchers for my birthday - you should never buy anyone tickets that they cannot use online. I kept it till the day of expiry and ended up having to sit in the first row, watching Australia (a very long movie) from a terribly uncomfortable angle (neck almost at 180degrees).

You know, I have this belief in the Just World theory, and so I always tell myself that good things come to those who wait. I also believe in karma, and abiding by the rules. And unicorns. And advertisements. So I'm probably a nut job.

But like I was saying, there I was, standing in line, thinking to myself what a refreshing change this is. I waited for about 15minutes before it was my turn. I bounced up to the lady and told her that I'd like 2 tickets.

She looked at me and said "5th row from the back".

"urm, ok", I responded meekly.

I paid up, with no inkling how many rows from the front, 5th row from the back was. Took my tickets and went back to the office.

I then went to the site again to see where exactly my seat was in the cinema - and turns out, there were actually more seats nearer the back, but 5th row from the back wasn't too bad, so I guess that was fine, even though it wasn't my preferred.

To save a $1 for the agony of not knowing where your place in the cinema is, is truly not worth the trade off.

You would think (or so I thought), that you'd get better options turning up in person, as opposed to making a purchase online, no ? I mean, I actually WAITED in line. Does that not warrant anything in this just world ?

But whatever.

Never again.

I'm slowly learning it isn't such a just world after all. And that I should take advantage of the little things, where I can. Accidentally got charged less at a store for an item ? Just take it. You won't get rewarded for pointing out the error. These 'accidents' in your favour is the world's way of rewarding you, so enjoy it.

No comments: