Thursday, August 13, 2009

SBR - 160809

So, I can't believe how quickly time has ticked by.

The Safra Bay Run is this Sunday - flagoff time, 0530 hours at Esplanade Drive.

Did you know, all this time when I was reading about it, I was under the impression that Sheares Bridge (the Sheares Bridge Run is what this used to be called) was the bridge just after the Suntec portion of the Nicholl highway. I drive down that stretch often enough to feel comfortable running it, so it didn't occur to me to check the race route till a couple of days ago.

And holy crap !

Turns out, Sheares Bridge as I know it, isn't actually the bridge on Nicholl highway. It's the ECP ! It starts at Esplanade drive, which means a steep climb up the bridge. *gulps*

I've mostly run on flat ground so I'm wondering just how much of me the upward climb is going to take.

On the bright side, at least I know now so I don't get a rude shock on the day. Besides, it's the first leg of the run so maybe it won't be so bad.

This is going to be my second half marathon, and I'm aiming to beat the time that I clocked for the Stanchart Marathon last year.

And as a 'seasoned' (yes, 1 half marathon and a 10km maketh a 'seasoned' runner in my books - what can I say, I live by standards different to the rest of the world) runner, this is what I know now.

1. Don't try to take public transport there - it's too god damn early. Even the trains aren't running.

2. Get there early so you have time to figure out where the hell the elusive bag deposit is located - and also so you don't realise too late that you have no idea where the actual start point is, and are still plodding across mud (running season always seems to coincide with the rainy season, so the ground is almost always muddy) when the gun goes.

3. A water belt is very handy - for girls, bring a man, so he can strap it on. Me, I just don't like being bogged down by things when I run so said man comes in useful for offloading stuff to. Thirsty, just hold out your hand and he hands you one of the little tumblers from his waterbelt. Sick of your ishuffle, just take it out and hand it over to the man to store in the little empty pocket of his waterbelt (earphones too, so you don't have them flying about your person, sticking to your chest or swatting your face as you bounce along). Need a little sugar boost ? Swat him on the arm and expect him to understand that you want to be fed the little gummy candies in his pocket.

4. Bring a change of clothes and flip-flops to change into post-run, so you can lounge in relative comfort in the blazing heat, whilst above-mentioned man runs around trying to get you a bottle of 100plus from one of the confusingly laid out tents.

5. Take your race bib out of the bag BEFORE depositing it. And after you take it out, hold on to it, and remember that you're holding on to it. I have a tendency to hold on to things, and then forget that I'm holding on to them so I let go without even realising it, till it's too late. Last year, I had to retrace my steps after going into a mini-hissy fit just before the run.

6. You know how I said don't attempt to take public transport there, well, turns out, you shouldn't attempt to drive there either unless you want to be first, stuck in a jam, and second, circling the area looking for parking - a close-to-impossible feat. Plus, who has the energy to drive home after the excruciating run anyway. The best way to get to a run is to badger a parent (or friend) into sending you there, and of course, pick you up after too.

7. Pee at home before the run because you don't want to end up waiting 20minutes for a gross porta-loo whilst trying to navigate tens of thousands of people who are making their way to the start line. Even worse if the urge comes mid-run and you're standing there, watching time tick by whilst runners throng on by.


Those are my 7 tips.

No comments: